3.22.2007

All you need is Love

Hello dear friends!

I find my self once again in an overcrowded, swelteringly hot internet café. Most people are bent over the keyboard trying to figure out how to type and every now and then will look over my way to stare. More often then not as I walk around town I have the song “Take Me Or Leave Me” from Rent running through my head, looped to the part where Moreen sings, “I walk down the street, I hear people say baby (muzungu) so sweet, Everybody stares at me, boys girls, I can’t help it baby.” It is becoming more tolerable as I am growing to realize that it is nothing personal and that they are just curious. Heck, I’d probably stare at me too. Haha. I am impatiently flicking back and forth between web pages, trying to make the most of my time here. I don’t think how much I really love the internet until I came to the Big U. Often I find myself wondering what it must have been like to be in the Peace Corps in the 1960s; no cell phones, no internet, it must have been much so harder. I am so incredibly grateful for little miracles like facebook, blogs and the like. Can facebook be considered a miracle? Hmmm, well perhaps a miracle can be defined by the circumstances one finds oneself in. Certainly every day here I see many miracles much more worthy of noting then the joys of a PC and internet cord, but right now, today, that is what you get to hear about. :-)

Currently, I am at a two week long IST (in service training) with the girls from my training group. It is so good to be baclk with them, and to be able to talk fast! The Peace Corps has put us up in a swanky hotel located in a semi big town which has internet! Okay, so the hotel definatly wouldn't qualify as swanky by American standards but it does have a toilet and.....electricity!!! You all know how I love toilets these days.

After three months, I think I have finally settled in at sight. My village of Sanje is beginning to feel more like “home” now, although it will never feel as much like home as Empire Ct., East Bay or IWU does. Some of the village kids are even starting to learn my name, Ndagire, and will even call me by that instead of “muzungu.” Oh, by the way, I’m not sure if I told you all but my Luganda name is Ndagire (in-dah-gear-i). It was given to me by my host family who I stayed with in Luwerro during our training. Things are going well and I am staying healthy despite the fact that my diet is mainly posho and beans which been supplemented with junk food (and some disgusting health food) from care packages. My luganda language skills are still limited but I think I am learning a little bit every day. Sure, some days are still incredibly hard and stressful and lonely, but I know that I will get through them. These days are broken up by incredibly good and rewarding days of teaching, or by phone calls and letters from loved ones back home or my new friends here in Uganda . It just proves that in life you can get through anything if you have a little love. All you need is love!

Till next time!
Much love!

Ps. More new pictures can be found under the link “my photos,” enjoy!

15 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well for once I get to be the first to reply (-: I'm heading out golfing / fishing this week end and I'll be wondering how the Nile would look compaired to the Mississippi. Do they have GOLF anywhere over there? Looks like spring has arrived as we are getting warmer temps and badly need rain. I was watching a comerical today and it started with the 14 circled and then onto the month of June and then the rest of the year. That got my attention, only for the date (-: You be carefull. Remember when you asked how long will I tell you that and shortly after our conversation a grandma told her husband and grandson the same thing as they got into the boat!!! Have I told you latey?
I do you know.

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you and just didn't want you to forget! See you in 13 weeks and counting!!!!
XOXO

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I keep forgetting to sign my comments, but the last one was from me (Becca E)!
PS Facebook is a blessing because it helps me stay connected to you =)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Nate said...

I just got back from the Great Smoky Mountains, a short spring vacation. I've been reading your blog and am amazed at the time you are having. It's crazy that you will be in the US this summer!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Ame said...

Hey Ndagire! I like your name :) Its good to hear from you. Glad you get a couple weeks with a toilet. Eric and I are leaving for Florida tomorrow. We'll send you some pics....I'm hoping to see some gators. See you in three months from today! Love, Ame

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Mrs. Berger said...

I'm so happy to hear things are going well for you! Only 3 months till you are back for a little while! Joel and I are on spring break now and are going up to warm, sunny Minneapolis. Excitement abounds. It's finally starting to warm up around here, but I'm sure nothing like Uganda. :) We miss you and are looking forward to seeing you in not too long!

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah

Good to see you have a post again. The Iternet sure makes the world seem smaller. So much so that we can easily forget how big it really is. Hope you enjoy your stay in the hotel. Indulge yourself. Hopefully you can read your blog comments without waiting for a whole month.

Lynne P

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Sarah C :-)
I'm sooo glad they are starting to call you by your name; for me, that was the moment when I really started to feel at home in a foreign country. As ever, your blogs make my day. Hugs and sending you all kinds of happy wishes and sunshine.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to read the latest on your blog. I guess I will have to check out Facebook. I'm not sure what that is. I like your name, Ndagire!
Glad you are doing well.
It's so nice here today, I'm sure the teahcers and students are getting spring fever 'big time'.
Take care....we love you. I did send and e-mail,to.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah! I wanted to let you know that InterVarsity is doing country prayer and tonight I will be leading prayer for Uganda and we will be praying for you and everything that you are doing there as part of it! :-)

Beth Hauck <><

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is April already, which means we're that much closer to seeing each other! :)

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking to you on AIM was so wonderful! You made my day, if not my week =)

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dangit, I forgot to sing my comment again =)
This one and the one above it are from Becca E!

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah~ You amaze me!! Every time I read your comments, I am blown away by how much good you are doing. My heart wells with the love for you and what you are up to these You're such an inspiration!

I bought you a card the other day, and I should get it in the mail this week. I've kinda slacked with the cards lately, i'm sorry....don't forget that I love you though!!!
Katie T

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Bryce Wesley Merkl said...

This is a very interesting blog.

Here's a site you might want to check out in Luganda that could help you practice:

Luganda wiki browser

 

Post a Comment

<< Home