12.26.2006

Kulika Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

I hope you are all very well and enjoying the snow and cold weather. Today is warm yet again, around 80 or so, needless to say it was not ‘beginning to look a lot like Christmas.’ Or at least in the way I am used to. Most of the PCVs in Uganda traveled to Kampala (the capital city in Uganda) to spend the holidays together. We had several parties/dinners thrown for us the past few days by staff at the embassy. It was great to go for some home cooked food and really wonderful to speak with people who knew what I was saying. I have never appreciated Americans more in my life. Not that I don’t love Ugandans, because I do! However, there is just something comforting about being able to hang out with people who know where you are coming from esp. around the holidays. Incase any of you are thinking of going into the foreign service, they are set up with some pretty swank accommodations. Christmas this year was by far the hardest one I have experienced as of yet. It goes without saying that I missed my family and friends more than I can say however, when I think about all the orphans I work with who will never even get to know their family, being away for two years seems much more manageable. Plus I will be home in less than 6 months for the wedding of the year. For Christmas day, a few of us got up to go to church in Kampala. We piled into a Matatu (taxi) a long with 25 other people, Matatus are suppose to hold 14 ppl max. We sang Christmas carols the whole way to church, we even got a few Ugandans to join in! On the way there we stopped by a gas station for a classy Christmas breakfast of juice and crackers, now for you this may not seem exciting, but try eating posho and beans every single day and it will be more superb than any other food. They were selling a mini keyboard so, of course I had to go play and sing some more carols. While tooting around on the piano, I notice three barefoot, big bellied children running around outside playing in the dirt and shrieking with glee from whatever treasure they had found in the mud. All of a sudden it really was beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

I am now on my way back to sight – sad to leave my friends, but am excited to get back to work.

Thanks for all the holiday phone calls and cards! Have a happy new year and joys holiday season!

Ps. Marty and Lea-the toilets flush counter clockwise on this side of the equator. I took a video for you, but it is to big to load, so I will have to show you when I get home.

9 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Sarah C!
I am so glad you have a Christmas posting. I was definitely thinking of you and wondering about Christmas in your side of the world. Big hug and keep up the amazingness that you are doing!

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Sarah! We had a quiet Christmas at home this year. Was nice. Glad you had a chance to celebrate.

Lynne P

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you were able to have a very christmas, and I hope that you have a Happy New Year as well. Take care and I can't wait to see you in six months.

-Rick

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Sarah! It makes my day when you update — I am so impressed by everything you do!

-Alyssa

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah - sounds like you are having a GREAT time in Uganda! Yay for that! Although I didn't come home to a pit latrine in Minnesota, I get to live in a sleeping bag on the floor the entire time...silly brothers stealing my room for their lego collections... I hope that your kids are doing well, and have a happy new year!!!!

-Bridget

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Nathan said...

Thanks for the Birthday no-bake cookies! They were delicious. I hope you have a good new years.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Sarah! I'm glad you were able to celebrate Christmas over there and have a good time. Jeff, Nate, and I were able to get together over the break and see each other. We took a picture, and I believe one of them is going to send it to you. Let me know if you do not get it and I will go ahead and send it to you. Thanks for the picture of the PwC office over there :) I get to go back to work tomorrow, so break is over :(. Keep up the good work and I'll talk to you later!!!

Love,
Elise

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From our conversation on Christmas day, it sounded like you were having a good time and that was the best gift-knowing you were celebrating with new friends!
Keep up the great work and I will see you in less than six months:)
Ooops, I mailed two packages to your old address so I hope you get them-let me know if you don't!
*Hugs*
Becca

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your New Year is off to a great start! I'm so excited to be back at school with internet so that I could read your posts!! I love hearing what you are up to and looking at all of your pictures. Even against all the Ugandans, you look so tan!! lol Beautiful! I miss you bunches, and I hope you got my package around Christmas! Love you tons!
~Katie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home