10.01.2006

Air planes

9-29-06
The Big U (Uganda) was almost here, we could even taste it, it was so close, but first we had to endure the trip there. We went through 27.5 hours of plane and bus rides, less then pleasant. But yet again, somehow, the company made it oh so much better. The trip was fairly uneventful minus the unfortunate few who are minus a couple pieces of luggage to becoming later. We even managed to somehow make the 1 hour layover on time. Oh, and just so you know, the JFK airport is terrible! We arrived and found ourselves in a giant line. I have seen giant lines at airports before, but this one was the most giant I have ever seen. It was ridiculous! Thank goodness, Alexis, a girl in our group, found us someone who let us bypass the whole line. I felt guilty but it was kind of cool. She was yelling at the others, watch out, I have a group headed for the Peace Corps! I am in the freaking Peace Corps, can you believe it?
So we finally arrived in Uganda at 10:30pm, and even though we couldn’t see much, I knew I was in love. I absolutely love this country, and I’ve only just arrived. We took a mini-bus to our resort though Kampala and Entebbe and the ride was to much for the senses to take in. The smells, the feelings, the sights, the emotions; all so indescribable. I feel so settled here. As we bump along the road, giggling with excitement, I know that this IS where I am supposed to be.

2 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate JFK too. It's the worst airport ever. But I'm glad you like Kampala so much...just think, if you like the city so much, wait till you get the country. You've always been a country girl at heart! I sl you.

Dan

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm soo excited that you made it to Uganda ok. I can't wait till i get to come visit you to see it in person.

Rick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home