9.21.2006

Packing List

Many people have been asking what I will be taking with me for my 2 years, so here is my final packing list, enjoy! I know it looks like a lot, but remember I am going for 2 years and I will be in freaking Africa! J

Clothes:
4 button down shirts
2 t-shirts
2 tank tops
2 long skirts
1 pr. light weight “campish” pants
1 pr shorts
1 fleece sweatshirt (I know it’s Africa, but I get cold!)
Slip to wear under skirts
10 bras
10 pr socks
10 pr underwear
Shoes: Chacos, Keen hiking shoes, 1 pr. Nice flip flops
Rain Coat
IWU Hat
1 pr. Good multi purpose gardening gloves
Swimming suit

Toiletries:
Shampoo
Conditioner
Soap
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Razors
Deodorant
Tylenol
Pepto Bismol
Fingernail clippers
Tweezers
Q-Tips…I like clean ears
Pads + Tampons
The Keeper
1 large camping towel
1 small camping towel
Sunscreen-SPF 50, are you happy Becca E? haha
Purell Hand Sanitizer, I wonder if I should take some Odo-Ban?
Hand Lotion

Electronics:
Laptop and accessories
Writable CD’s to back up photos
DVDs of essential movies (thanks Compagnos!)
Power converter
Brunton’s Solar charger + rechargeable batteries
Head Lamp
2 sports watches
Digital Camera + extra memory chip
Flash Drive
Ipod + microphone for recording
Batt. Powered alarm clock with thermometer

Miscellaneous:
Travel Journal
My Life Application Study Bible
Pens + Pencils
Cards
Gifts for host family: Calendar with pics from IL, Uno, Crayons
10 passport photos, a PC requirement
Nalgene Bottle
Sun glasses
Money Belt
Travel Guide to East Africa
Sheets
Swiss Army Knife
Combination Pad Lock
Safety Pins
Small sewing kit
Oboe, tuner, sheet music and reed making supplies
Teflon No-Stick pan (I have heard that they are very expensive and hard to get in Uganda)
Spatula and cooking spoons
Good cooking knife
Pocket Suduko
Ziplock Baggies
Travelers Checks
Pens
And the most essential items: Post-it Notes and Duct Tape

To carry it all in:
Large Camping/Hiking back pack-thank you Lea and Deb T!
Small Suitcase
Back pack for carry on

Total Weight: 60 lbs!!! (that’s 20 lbs. under the weight requirement!)

5 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Sarah C

You're almost there!! Thinking of you and praying for you as you finish your last few days. Remember you are loved so much!

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a very good packer, and I especially like the sunscreen with SPF 50:) I think you should add some Odo-ban, perhaps 20lbs full because you can never have too much odd-ban:) He he! Speaking of odo-ban, Chuck does not work at EBC anymore:( This made me very sad.
I miss you and will be thinking about you as you make your final preparations to go live out your dream!
*hugs*
Becca Boo

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

As a representative of the Western Illinois Fan Club, I want to be sure you don't forget the beauty and majesty of where you're from. However, it seems your packing list doesn't include any Mississippi mud, so I'm quoting a favorite passage for you to bring along with from Charles Edward Russell--a fellow lover of Western Illinois and the whole upper river region. I'm sure he would be a proud member of our esteemed and venerable organization, were he alive today.

With SL,

Dan

"Whosoever has sailed on the Mississippi and known in his heart the wichery and joy of it, has stores of his own that he does not derive from and could not well share with another. Of all things connected with or suggesting the river, whether these be logs or lumber or rafts or Renwick's Pier or Cat Tail Slough, of all news about the river and all experiences and adventures along and around the river, he will hear or read always with avitdity, but his own incommunicable glorying is in the sights and sounds that come back to him whever he will let them. For then he will hear played at him from the limestone cliffs the deep melodious music of the old Minnesota's whistle, and then he will see again Frontenac in the earliest morning or Trempealeau sleeping in the red sunset, and so maybe with profit to his soul brood the more upon the river of his memories, dreams, and love that is so like to an epitome of his own existence, flowing out of the mystery above into the mystery below."

 
At 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you have a link to the keeper. And I'm glad you're bringing your oboe. :) Oh my goodness, you'll be in Africa like, tomorrow!!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the keeper = fabulous.

good for traveling and poor college students.

I MISS YOU!!

-bridget

 

Post a Comment

<< Home