10.13.2006

A Day in the Life of a PCT

Jambo Mikwano! (Hello Friends)

So I am sure you are all surprised to see another entry from me, I am surprised to be sitting at a computer!!! Right now another PCT, Hannah and myself are in Mityana visiting 2 current PCVs who are education volunteers. Everyone in our group left yesterday to do 3 day visit with current PCVs across Uganda to give us a hint at what our life will be like once we get to our sight. Right now our PCVs are giving a lecture to some teachers and they pointed us in the direction of an internet “café” the café is more like a closet with 5 or 6 slow computers cramed in. But it is internet, which is fantastic!!!! Today has been a fantastic day! We even found a resteraunt that sells cold drinks!

Some people have been asking, Sarah, what do you do during the day in the big U (Uganda)? So I thought I would let you see a day in the life of Sarah Cowan, PST

4:00 am wake up from the Rooster – Yes, I thought these things only crowed during day break, but they start crowing around 4 and don’t stop until, well, forever!
6:00 am I finally get out of bed from under my mosquito net and take a bucket bath-always cold water, which can actually be refreshing. I also usually run to the pit latrine because we are not allowed to go outside at night and by this point my bladder is at about breaking point. We have buckets in our room for middle-of-the-night emergencies, but I would rather not have to use that. Now, if you are not familiar with a pit latrine, it is simply a hole in the groud. ‘nuff said J
7:00 breakfast with my host mom and her granddaughter, Joy, who is possibly the cutest kid you have ever met!
7:20 head out for my walk to the training center.
7:21 hear “muzungu, muzungu, how are you?” being shauted at me along the entire walk. I can’t go anywhere around here with out being stalked by the little kids, but they are cute.
7:35-a great time for you to call me! (we are 8 hours ahead here, so that is 11:35 your time)
8:00am training starts. Training is INTENSE! We spend all day learning-or should I say trying to learn the language. We also have some sessions on HIV/AIDS education in Uganda. We also do some field work, and a couple of days ago, I was privileged to go to to go to observe in a school for a couple of hours. The typical Ugandan school starts at 7am and gets out at 5pm!!! However stressful this time is, I do enjoy some parts of training because I am making some wonderful friends here.
5:00pm Exausted, I head back to my home stay
5:30pm Arrive at home and immediately start helping Skovia (our house girl) cook supper. This is often humorous because she doesn’t speak any English, and I speak very little Luganda, but we have gotten very good at non verbal communication. Joy (my 3 year old host sister) follows me everywhere and is fascinated with my hair. It is also funy to interact with her, because we are both trying to learn the language.
7:00ishpm Eat supper with my host family. It is very strange to try and adjust to this culture, although I am very grateful to be staying with a Ugandan family. It is introducing me to a lot of customs I don’t think I would have known if otherwise
8:00pm head into the safety of my mosquito net! It has really become my safe haven. A place for me to escape from all evils of the world. I try to study Luganda by lantern and then read some from the Bible.
****This would be a perfect time to call me!!!***** (8:00pm my time is noon, your time) I have also gotten into journaling, a lot. It helps to process all of this. It is so strange and exciting being here, so many things are new. It is really like being an infant and learning everything over again. Including, how to use the bathroom! haha

Once again, thank you for all of your comments, I can't tell you enough how much they mean to me. I love you all SOOOOO much!

Love you!
Sarah C.

16 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Sarah C!!
I am so glad to see another entry :-) And to know that you have Internet again, however briefly. Sounds like you are keeping happy, despite the intensity and craziness. Think of how amazing your Ulanda will be pretty soon. When you get a chance, if you get a chance, can you tell us about Uganda customs? What do you make for dinner? Hang in there and know we still miss and love you!
~Rachel2 (I feel a need to sign anyway. As if you could mix Rachel1 and I up ;-)

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we had those roosters too, and i hated them...what the hell does a rooster do in the city anyway? on another note, i'm glad to see they're keeping you busy. it sounds like a very intense day. do any of the kids ever pinch you? oh, and tell your little sister that we like your hair here too, if you get a chance. has she figured out that just touching it makes you go to sleep yet?
sl

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you are busy and tired perhaps...kind of like camp times 109343246985:) You could try and tell Joy about my hair so that when I come visit you in 450 days (I added it up), she won't be suprised or scared:) All my love and many hugs!
Becca
PS Wewe mimi rafiki:)

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah
Sure enjoy reading your blogs. Am wondering what kind of food you are eating there? Are you still near Kampala. Sounds as if you are in a very rural area rather than in the city.

Wishing you well
Lynne P

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah(Sasha)- Wow your days seem extremely long but for a great purpose. Im glad to here that you enjoy Uganda. Your host family sounds extremly welcoming. Right now its 8:45am in Uganda..
I miss you a bunch
Erin T.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Compagno,
I thought of you yesterday while I was driving. I was flipping through stations on my drive home and I caught a Papageno aria from The Magic Flute (which always makes me think of you for obvious reasons...).
I hope you're having a great time, and I can't wait until I get to see/talk to you again.
~Becca R.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I know this is silly to post on here, but I think I found a card that may work. It's AT&T and the customer service lady said it works for Uganda only 57 cents a minute:) That means we have 17 minutes to talk later tonight (well tomorrow morning your time)!!!!!! I'm very excited:)
Remember our favorite verse, Sarah, and know that you can do this and God is smiling down on you now and He is there at night when things get quiet and lonely and He is there always! How awesome is that?!?!
Hugs Kisses and Prayers
Becca E

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's kind of funny. I was reading this post and talking to adam about your communication with Joy and i made a joke about how you guys are on an equal level when it comes to talking and how its like your a kid again. Then i saw that you wrote that its like your an infant again. well it's not really that funny but worth a chuckle

-Rick

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I know how you like to read blogs of other PCV's so here is one. jeninguinea.blogspot.com. This is Brian Daums (B diddy) causion who as the blog would implie is in guinea. Any way if you get a chance and want to check it out go for it. She's pretty cool.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST TALKED TO YOU FOR FIVE MINUTES!!!!!!!! I have a few more phone cards because my suitemates are awesome so I will call you soon, friend:)

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! I love reading your updates and hearing about your life in Uganda. I still can't believe you are really there! I hope you are having wonderful experiences and learning a lot, and keep posting when you can because we love hearing from you.
Love and prayers,
Alyssa

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was really interesting to read! and if i had school from 7am to 5pm id PROLLLLY die. lol
loveya!!!

God Bless

<33staci

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to join you! that sounds like so much fun! and way cool! You're in my prayers have fun! They talked about Uganda last night at the thrid day concert... i was like YEAH! I KNOW SARAH COWAN - SHE'S IN UGANDA - CUZ SHE'S COOL! rock on, i miss you, stay safe!

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah!

The Jensen family is so excited for you! I loved reading your blog entries and keeping up with your exciting adventure! We are so proud of you. I will have Chloe and Haley check out your blog so they can read about your time in Uganda! Please know that we are thinking about you and hope this will be an experience of a lifetime! Keep posting! It is fun to read!

Love you!

Cindy, Scott, Chloe and Haley Jensen

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you started with Jambo! I taught that song to my 3rd graders and thought of you the whole time. I like you :)

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T!
I can't wait to see pictures of Uganda. I'm still jealous of you even after hearing about the pit latrine! I hope you are loving every day! Those Ugandans are so lucky! We miss you here.
Emily (Z)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home