2.16.2007

Touched, By an Angel


Down a dirt road, around the mango trees, hidden from tourists and most outsiders there is a little village of Matate, Uganda. This village has two small ‘dukas’ (shops) that sell the basic necessities for life. Population is probably around 50. My supervisor and I have been doing some outreaches to this incredible little town and yesterday we helped put on a day of music dance and drama to encourage people to get tested for HIV/AIDS. The day was rather long and as we moved into our 3rd hour of drama, yes 3rd hour, I was fading fast. Of course there is no power in Matate so microphones were out of the question. What I could hear, I only understood about half, it was all in Luganda. Out of nowhere a little baby of about 2 crawled up into my lap. This surprised me as most small children are too afraid of “muzungus” to come close enough to touch.

For the next two hours she sat with me and we clapped, played and danced together. From asking the people sitting around me, I found out that her name is Angel and she had recently been abandoned by her parents. Dropped off at this village without so much as a shirt on her back. I was completely blown away, how could anyone dump this little bundle of joy on the side of the road? She was the most friendly, happy baby I have ever met, and I instantly fell in love with her. When the event was over, we of course had to leave. My heart sank knowing that I would have to leave Angel as much as I wanted to take her with, our orphanage only accepts children who are 4 or above. I had to shut the door of our vehicle on her and through the window, I could hear her screaming and crying. I had to bite my lip to keep from weeping. As we drove off, I saw two older women go to comfort the baby and I was once again filled with hope. I realized that I should not feel so bad for this little Angel, for she would be taken care off. The village would raise her as their own. They would provide love and food for her. Even though they have very little food or clothing themselves, I knew they would share what they had with her. So instead of driving away depressed, I was happy but also questioning many things. It makes me think, would the same happen in America where we have so much to give? Hmmm……

6 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Sarah
As ever, your stories and experiences are so powerful. Thank you for sharing! Besides all the wonderful work you are doing in Uganda, you are challenging us here to keep things in perspective and be more open to the greater world.
I miss you so much, and here's sending a big hug (not sure for the word in Luganda..but they say it a lot in Spanish as a closing), ~Un abrazo

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
This story brought tears to my eyes so thank you for sharing! Perhaps we can take some time to visit Angel when I come visit!!!! You are amazing and like Rachel said, you continue to encourage and remind me to keep things in perspective! I miss you and love you like CrAzY =) I will be seeing you in FOUR months!!!!

*Hugs and Kisses*
Becca Boo

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,
Wow! That was a powerful experience. It is amazing to think of total strangers taking in this little girl. God works in wonderful ways. Blessings to you as you continue to touch lives and are touched by others.
Regarding the event you attended...hopefully over time, things will drastically improve for Ugandans as they learn more about aids, and how to prevent its spread.
Love, Jody B

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, you are something else. I thought of you today. I was going through all the music on my hard drive and i found a bunch of classical that you put on this summer, i listened for you. I miss you!
z

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I get frustrated or discouraged, I come and read your posts and letters because they remind me of what life really is about! Thank you! I miss you so much and love you even more!!!!

XOXO
Becca

PS I get to see you in 106 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah~
She is beautiful, and I have no idea how you kept from crying, I would have so lost it. I love you bunches!!
Katie T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home