2.09.2007

giving in

3 posts in 2 days, kind of crazy, huh? I'm in Kampala this weekend to do research among other things and taking some time to hang out with fellow PCVs and indulge myself in some quality internet time. I have been pressured from many people, who shall remain nameless, to rejoin the facebook craze. After resisiting very hard, for a very long time I have decided to give in and become a member. If you are part of the book of faces, log on and ad me as your friend! (if you want anyways) :-) Also, there are some new pictures under the photo album "sabina home!"

Things are going really well right now. The children are all back from their holidays and school finally resumed which means that I get to start teaching. So far, its really been a blast. I can't wait to get to know all of these children. My first goal is to learn all of their names. We will see how that goes! Last week I was also able to sit down with my counterpart and supervisor to make a detailed work plan which looks something like this:

Monday: Field work with Grace (my supervisor). We will be doing home visits, workshops, community outreach centered on positive living, community wellbeing and community development.
Tuesday: Teaching health/life skills, PE, music and some English at Sabina school (the school which is connected with my orphanage)
Wednesday: Teaching health/life skills, PE, music and some English
Thursday: More community outreach with Grace
Friday: Visiting local schools to do health/HIV/AIDS/life skills education
Saturday: Girls empowerment club. I am starting a club in my town for 5th and 6th grade girls to have a safe place to come hang out, play sports and talk about life. Also, my Saturdays will be spent with my new friend from town who is going to help me learn more Luganda.
Sunday: Going to church, washing clothes, washing my house. Yes, washing your clothes does take all day!

Time is flying by, so I must go. I pray that you are all well, know that I miss you all like CRAZY!

Ps. Don’t forget to add me as your friend on facebook!

7 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you gave in to facebook! I am so glad you are so busy and involved in not just the orphanage, but entire communities. I am sure they all just adore you over there just like the other Muzungus (is that how you spell it?) do here at home! I am so glad we got to talk this week and cannot wait to see you in only a few months!!!!!!
I bought my plane ticket so I will be in Bloomington for sure when you are there. I trip to Genes or Coldstone is in order =) Well I have to go study for a developmental biology test=( But remember that I love and miss you and you are always in my prayers and are never more than a thought away! Keep it up, friend!

God is good
All the time

Becca

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah

Good to hear you sounding so upbeat. It has been below zero every morning this week. BRRR!!! A little African sun would feel pretty good right now. :)

Take care
Lynne P

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sarah, just want to tell you that you have a really great set of parents! Oh, you probably already knew that . . .

Ed, Leslie, Justin, and I had a wonderful evening with your parents last Saturday. Conversation was no problem - not with us each having a kid in the PC in Uganda! It was a truly delightful evening for us. We felt like we got to know you a bit better through hearing your parents talk about you. Our prayers remain with you as you continue your incredible adventure. You can't possibly know how we "at home" go crazy when we see those blog updates! It's like a Christmas gift! Please take care of yourself, and know that each day is a gift.

Till next time,
Sherry, Nathan's mom

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that things are going very well for you. I'll continue to pray for you.

p.s I think I'm going to start calling 10:30 am on Fridays since that work out yesterday, so I would just get used to that.

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think of it as "giving in", think of it as.....um.....well.....

yeah, you gave in :)

but I love you for it.

See you in 125 days!!!!!!!

PS- Gilmore Girls and Grey's updates are on the way!

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing to hear about everything going on. You sound so good, and excited for your work. It's a Tuesday, and they are cancelling school again. More for blowing snow than actual accumulation. So do you remember snow? That white stuff. Can't remember when we've had so much of it in one year. It does look beautiful!
We think of you often and pray for your work and safekeeping. The children at the orphanage sound wonderful. We could all take a lesson from their happy spirit. To have nothing and still be happy. Actually, they have you! Take care dear Sarah.
p.s. I'll have to be brought up to speed on this 'facebook thing'. Am I showing my age?
We Love ya,
GJLE(neighbors on Empire Ct.)

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah you rock! You've probably heard about the crazy insane snow here. If there is a snow day tomorrow I'm going to finish your letter; if there's not a snow day tomorrow I'm going to finish your letter! Muzungus reminds me of Muggles (I've been on a Harry Potter kick since I was sick couple weeks ago and did a movie marathon). Happy Valentine's. Keep up the good work!
Love, Ame

 

Post a Comment

<< Home