1.18.2007

Under the Ugandan Sun

Each morning I wake up, crawl out of my mosquito net and head to by bathing area mentally preparing myself for my bucket bath of freezing water, knowing full well that I will never actually become clean, and I ask my self, is it really worth it, do I really want to be here? As I drag myself to my pit latrine I notice the sun brilliantly coming up over the horizon making everything seem to sparkle with wonder. Somehow the colors of the trees and flowers are more vibrant here. Someone should look it up and see if it is because I am now closer to the sun or if I am just going silly. It puts a smile on my face, because as I pass their home, I can hear the fathers praying. There are some mornings when I want nothing more in the world than to come home. I am thousands of miles away from home, probably developing more wrinkles than the downy dog, constantly covered in sweat, and for what? Then I reach the orphanage, a mere 150 yards away from my home. I know the distance because I roll stepped it, yeah marching band! As I approach the home, I am greeted by dozens of smiling faces. “Good morning Auntie Sarah, how was your night,” is what they all say. My response is usually, wonderful. Because, I am then reminded, no matter how homesick I was, or how late I was kept awake by the lizards and cockroaches the night before, I realise that I am wonderfully blessed. A majority of these kids have no relatives to speak of, other than their family of other children and staff here. What are two small years away from mine?

I have become very reflective lately in the late hours of the night I spend awake listening to the cockroaches scurry back and forth on my ceiling and I think in a way Uganda is changing me. Sure my skin is now darker and my hair (including my arm hair) lighter, but there is something deeper going on. Something inside that I can’t quite put my finger on, perhaps I will never know, but I know that it is something good. Don’t worry though, I am still Sarah Cowan, BME, lover of jellybellies, peanut butter and oboe music. Some things will never change. :-) This Sarah is smiling, under the Ugandan sun.

11 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Sarah
This post made me smile, and feel inspired at the same time. You have the most amazing attitude of anyone I have ever met...that you can remain so optimistic under these challenges and circumstances.
I am so proud of you and so excited that you realize what great things you are doing! Keep it up and know you are still loved :-)

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Even thousands of miles away and you living without simple conviences we enjoy back in the States, you are still there for me. I have really been missing you a lot and unable to get a hold of you and my phone card minutes are running short. Even with you serving others and truly being a servant in all ways, you are still able to comfort me. I feel so selfish for missing you and I do not want to make this any harder for you, but I loved your letters and our short but great phone chats are so uplifting for both of us:)
Rick and I are trying our best to make it over there for a visit in August of 2008!!!! Right now, the money is our major hold up so we will keep you posted, but I wrote you a letter and talked about this among other things.
Keep up this great attitude and keep sharing-you are truly amazing!!!!! And if you never quite get clean all the way, it's ok-just like camp:)

*Hugs*
Becca
Sorry this got so long!

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sarah, I'm Nathan's Mom just letting you know that we, too, are praying for you and encouraging you in our hearts. It takes a very special person to even have the desire to serve in the Peace Corps, and then to be able to actually fulfill the service. Reading your blog, it's easy to tell that you have so much to offer the people there with whom you work. I can't even begin to imagine the courage it takes to get out of that mosquito net each morning. Each day is one day done and another day of never-before-experienced richness in its own way. Please take care, and know that many, many people - even those you have never met - are walking right alongside you as you make this incredible journey in Uganda! Okay, I do have to admit, I'm glad I don't have to take a bucket bath with freezing water!

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah
It was great to read your posting, hang in there with everything. I am sure it is an adventure of a life time.. Keep safe, cool and some-what clean... Thinking of you
Marty & Lea

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Yo Sarah,
You are doing God's work there in so many ways; living with grace in the most impossible circumstances and sharing the love with which God has graced you!
You remain in our prayers in both our home and our church!
Be God's,
Pastor Brian and Francie

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like you so much! I have been a giant loser in mailing things to you, but they are now on their way. I can't believe I get to see you in less than 5 months now!

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah

I understand that a PC group headed for Guinea has been reassigned to Uganda or at least some of them. They have had problems with a strike in Guinea. My friends daughter is assigned there. Looks like Uganda might get some extra help.

Lynne P

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
You are amazing! I have been blown away as I have read your blogs and looked at your pictures. You are an example to all of us of what it means to be a servant for Him! Keep up the good work and keep that beautiful smile! You are impacting lives forever!
I'm praying for you!
"The other Nurse Pam #2" =)

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah -

I saw Missy today at Alyssa Underwood's junior recital and ended up thinking of you the whole walk home. It seems as if you are truly living the slogan "the hardest job you'll ever love." I am so proud of the work you are doing, both for yourself and the chilluns. The world is a better place because of it.

Much love,

Bridget

PS It was -1 today. BRRRRRR!!

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you hear the big news???? The wonderful Chicago BEars play the Colts in the Superbowl tonight!!!!! I will be thinking of you because you took me to solider field and I always think of you (but not in a stalkerish way!)!
Just wanted you to know that and that I love you bunches! Thanks for you letter-they make my week =)
XOXO
Becca Boo

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read your blog and all i can think is YOU ARE AWESOME! props to you, keep your head high, i miss you.

I was just thinking the other day how i came up to see you and help out at NH-MT and all the crazyness. no mater what the challenge you always show everyone love and that is prob the coolest part about you. have a good one!
z

 

Post a Comment

<< Home