11.12.2008

Mweraba, bambi mweraba

Two years ago, I packed my bags full of items I thought I would need for my peace corps adventure. The things I carried with me included my oboe, laptop, music, clothes and random necessities I though I would need. I packed unknowing what was in store for my life. Two days ago, I packed again but this time I stuffed my bags full of gifts received from the amazing people I have grown to love in what now seems to be a very short time. Over the past 2 weeks friends, coworkers, students and parents of students have given me 2 suitcases full of beautiful hats, painting skirts ect. to “remember Uganda.” As if I could forget! In addition, the Sabina staff threw me a surprise-going-away party which included so much food made by all of the aunties and dancing until I though my feet would fall off. They even prepared luwombo, a dish only used on the most special of occasions. Yesterday, as the kids sang and said their goodbyes, I wept with them as they were into their 4th song only a few kids were still able to sing as the rest had succumbed to sobbing. Before moving to Ssanje, Uganda, I have never before felt such acceptance into a community of people despite being such an obvious outsider (white skin?). The people of Sabina and Ssanje have warmly welcomed me into their homes through hospitality unmatched anywhere in the world. I know it is time to come home but I will miss Uganda forever. The constant perfect 80 degree weather, the abundance of fresh fruit, the monkeys and the beautiful people will of course be missed as I walk through Chicago in freezing weather. As Jon Kabat-Zinn sad, “Where you go is where you are,” and I will be happy where I will be living with my old roommates from college, living near my family and friends, being around for important events, but I’m still not sure if I will ever be able to readjust to the cold. Freezing is possibly one of my worst fears now. If freezing is the worst, then I guess I’ll be okay. I just might wear 3 coats at the same time for a while. It’s been a hard two years, although ‘hard’ does not begin to describe the challenges I have faced here, but I guess what they say is true, Peace Corps is “the toughest job you’ll ever love!”

Before I come home, my friend Hannah and I are stopping to tour Egypt, Jordan and Israel for a month and will arrive state side for Christmas and Becca and Jason’s wedding. I do still hope it’s okay with them if I wear a parka over my bridesmaid dress. This will probably will be my last blog from Uganda so I will leave you with some more pictures. Thanks again for all of your wonderful support through this crazy adventure.

Nkwagala nnyo!

One last hike to Katanjovu, a local hill/mountain with some of the students (i'm the white girl)


Machue and Teddy reading in the library.



Peter, our librarian teaching students in the library.

Playing volleyball at my going away party with some Sabina staff members.

Dancing the night away at my party with Sabina teachers.

11 Comments:

At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! I can't imagine begining to return because after only 3 weeks it was hard for me to return. But know that I love you and am here for you and cannot wait to see you! Safe travels, mucwongo (my Lugunda spelling is still a bit rough ha ha).
Love ya, friend!
XOXO

Becca Boo

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger rachel♥jo said...

Sarah, you are truly inspiring! You have unquestionably touched the lives of those you’ve met and I’ve enjoyed reading about your adventures and triumphs. I wish you safe travels through the Holy Lands and back to IL. I hope to see you around church at Christmas… You may want to invest in battery heated socks, gloves and coat! :P
peace,
rachel ♥man

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salah!!!! Our Sarah is coming home!!! Happy tears!! Sad tears for you missing your kiddos and them missing you. This is all so surreal. We love you more than you will ever know!! We can't wait to go back in a few years and see your library and kids. See you in 40 days!!! love mom, dad, anna, addie!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,

You have brought tears to my eyes again! Wow! thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you had fun at your party. The children are so blessed to have had you in their lives. And your spirit will live with them forever! Have a blast the next month and a very Merry Christmas.

Much affection,
Pamela

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I am sad for you that you had to leave, but at the same time so very happy that you are coming home! You'll just have to find something amazing to do around here for awhile :) Love you and I will SEE YOU SOON!

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah - the family is proud of you and what you have accomplished! We all look forward to hearing all your stories at the next Bonvinifest. your cousin- Dale

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,

So proud of you and everything that you have done these past 2 years in Africa. The kids there were so lucky to have you - I'm so happy that your dream to serve the Peace Corps has been filled; you have truly made a difference. I hope the rest of your travels are safe, and I am so excited that you will be home again soon! You can borrow an extra purple coat if you need one, by the way. :)

X
Carolyn

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah

Hope you enjoy your travels. Take some time and pamper yourself. You have more than earned it. Congrats on all you have accomplished. Safe travels and well done.

Lynne

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Sarah,
I am so excited to see you at New Years! You are truly inspiring! See you soon!

Jessica Lauer

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Beautiful blog! Im currently raising money to build a school in Uganda(Apac) and will be visiting this July.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tukwagala nyo. nyo Sarah. Thanks for your blogg, am based in europe and next time u around please come for dinner and speak luganda. i hail from uganda and felt good while i was reading yr blogg and the selection of Your words and the mix of luganda. feel free and send me mail; matovua@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home