10.27.2008

A trip to the Library!

Here are a couple of pictures of the now fully completed library. The walls are painted, the 5000+ books are all labeled, categorized and catalogued, and the building is ready for learning. The grand opening will happen tomorrow and we are excitedly getting ready. We have invited district officials, teachers from Sabina and the other schools in the area and some community members to the opening to make them aware of the library and present the programs we will be offering to them. Our committee for the library has now met 5 times and all of the members are so enthusiastic about the library and creating great programs for the students here as well as the community. Their enthusiasm and dedication have made me so sure that the library will be put to the best use possible. If I do have to leave (and I do) it’s so good to know that the library will be in great hands. Also, Amy, our new Peace Corps Volunteer who is replacing me, is already passionate about starting programs for the community.

The final countdown to my departure has begun; I’m only left with 13 days which is harder to believe than anything. I can’t believe that I have made it all the way to the end! I’m trying to take time to say good bye to everyone before I go. Yesterday, one of my women’s groups I have been working with organized a goodbye party for me. They sang and danced for 3 hours and I was tearful the entire time. They kept thanking me for everything I have done for them, but I couldn’t make them realize that it was I that should be grateful for what they have done for me.

Hope you are all well, and I’ll see you soon!

8 Comments:

At 4:19 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

What a happy post :) Congrats on the MANY things you have accomplished. Perhaps we can meet up, in person, December/January. Yay for you!!

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a GREAT feeling to see one of your many dreams for the people to come true and to know it will be there to improve their lives and expand their horizons. What a legacy you are leaving them. Now they will be able to read about and see pictures of places you have told them about. Like when I was trying to tell them about squirrels. They will be able to find a picture as well as to see what the rest of the world may offer. 13 days, unreal. I remember when you left it felt like it would be forever and 10 years before you would be home and now we are counting down the days. See you the 22nd and we will be there with bells on. I’m still thinking you and I should go “ICE FISHING” the 23rd (-: OK OK we can sit by the fire and have ginger bread and egg nog.
We love you,
Mom & Dad

 
At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, you have made a real difference and I envy you the opportunity. I SO need to get back to Sabine.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Kevin Eckert said...

Do you have any plans for when you get back to the US?

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way, I can't believe you are returning in such a short time. I'm tearing up thinking about it! What wonderful things you have done while at the Sabina Home. My, my, a whole new library. How awesome for your new and dear friends there at the orphanage and town. The library looks super, and will give those children many more ways to learn. Congratulations, Sarah. I've enjoyed your posts so much. They have made me feel grateful for many things....Sabina Home has been blessed to have you. And I'm sure you have been blessed by what you have experienced. But, can't wait to see you!!!! Yay!

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops! That last post was from me....Jody, your neighbor!

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I have been following your blog with great interest, I am Betsy Wilson Amy's Mom....people like you and Amy have such passion, and hard for me to understand fully how you can do what you do. Thanks for helping get Amy organized. Maybe we can touch base when you get back to the states
....give Amy a hug for me, and good luck on your return...Betsy

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home