7.30.2008

Hakuna Matata in Kenya

Jambo, Jambo mwana, hakuna matata!

I'm writting this to you after a 24 hour bus ride from Mombasa to Kampala. Am I grumpy from the long hours being squished on a stinky, and very cold bus? Nope! Thats because I finally got to go to Kenya! I have been trying for so long to make it to the island of Lamu, as many of you remember I was going to go with a course during my days at IWU but the trip got cancelled 3 times so I decided that since I'm living in Uganda I had better make it to Lamu once and for all. I went with Hannah, Courtney, Lisandro (other PCVs in Uganda) and Cathrine (Lisandro's friend from home). We stopped in Narobi,then Mombasa and spent most of our time on Lamu an island off the northern coast of Kenya. The island completely surpassed my expectations. It was more than beautiful with it's sandy beaches, over friendly residents and with the main mode of transport being donkeys, how could you not love it? I promise to write more later and post more pictures, but for now I need to go get ready to go pick up Becca Evans from the airport!!! Thats right, another visitor! Yipee!
Me on the beach at Lamu on the Indian Ocean.
Our last night on Lamu we had a happy birthday to me celebration dinner of crab, lobster and fish on the beach.

7 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY #25 to you and Hi to Becca. Looks like another dream of yours fulfilled. I’m glad you had a great time. Now that I know where you’ve been I’ll be checking on the web to retrace your path.
I Love you,
Walleyehunter

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The very happiest birthday to you my sweet girlie!!! 25!! wow. So glad you had a great time in Kenya...dreams really do come true. All my love mom.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Ame said...

Happy Birthday Sarah! A postcard with yellow belly marmots is on its way to you. Hi Becca! Love, Ame

 
At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, happy Birthday Sarah! So young...The trip to Kenya sounds wonderful. What a beautiful spot. I know of Mombasa from the movie "Out of Africa". Cool-you've been there! Can't wait to see more pictures. I cannot imagine 24 hours on a bus...any kind of bus. I recommend Yoga to stretch out those tired muscles! Have a great time with your friend Becca! Jody B

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sorry, I think my phone doesnt like africa...I keep trying to call and it just rings, so ill keep trying...<3 little sis

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for you that you got to go! Finally!!! Does Gearhart know you're in Africa? She'll be so happy you got to go! I have much more to say, but I'll write an e-mail instead of taking up space here. Love you!

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been back 10 days and each day, I miss you even more (is that possible?). I miss our late dinner conversations, bedtime TV (watching the OC w/o you is not the same), morning yoga with you and Amanda, hearing baby Ranna yell "Auntie Sarah", and you remind me to take my malaria medicine (I've only taken it once since I got back-oops!), put on sunscreen, and drink water.
The three weeks with you have changed my life and I am extremely grateful to you for that! I love you so much and miss you more than all the ensonafu (safari ants) in Uganda (which is a lot ya know)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home