3.06.2008

Sweet home, Ssanje village

To anyone who is still checking the blog, my apologies for the very long delay in updating. We have been so very busy in the head office of CoU that I have hardly had time to think about things other than schools, children, paying salaries and databases. As I mentioned in the last blog, I have temporally relocated to Seeta (15 km east of Kampala) living and working in Kiwanga, CoU’s other home. The Children of Uganda’s head office is now located there and I am helping out in this time of transition. Things are going well and I am very optimistic about the changes this organization is undergoing. Once the changes are complete, I know that it will create a better environment and better learning opportunities for the children. Not that things were bad before, but as time moves forward, so is required of every organization. I’m doing many activities to try to help CoU some of these include: organizing letters to sponsors, updating our database of children’s histories, finding schools for secondary students to attend, running around Kampala looking for a number of things, today it was papers to apply for tax exemption.

Like I mentioned before, I am missing my village, but really, really, really enjoying the intermittent electricity. I will be staying in Kiwanga until mid May and then back to the Rakai home to finish out my service, which is done in November. I’m planning a trip with a couple of other PCVs to see some of the seven wonders of the world before I arrive home but we hope to back state side by December 23rd, just in time for Christmas! I have no doubt that I will have plenty of things to keep my very busy until then. Opening the library will take a lot of work, but will be very much worth it. I am so excited for it to be complete. Then I have a visit in August from the amazing Becca Evans, so I’m sure time will fly.

Last week, I got the fantastic opportunity to travel to Rakai to stay at my home for 4 whole days! We are preparing for a visit from a team of doctors from Baylor and so I had to go organize the files for every child in our program at the home in Rakai. While this is not the most exciting work, I enjoyed every minute of my time. I was a bit nervous that the people in my village would have forgotten about me and would have reverted to calling me a muzungu again. I have been away for a month and co-workers at Sabina home have told me that the people in the community thought I had gone back to the states. I was so relieved when I was greeted by the people and small children with shouts of, ‘aunti salah’ (that’s how they pronounce my name), ngo buzze, kudi kayo! (you have been lost, welcome back). Even all the taxi drivers in Kyotera, a town 30 km away from my village, remembered who I was and where I stay. When I arrived at Sabina home, I was dog-piled by 50 very excited children who all tried to jump into my arms at the same time. As painful as this was, I didn’t feel the bruises until hours later as I was so happy to be ‘home.’ The children all send their greetings and love to everyone in America.

I hope you are all well and enjoying what I hope will soon be spring. Its still consistently, amazingly warm here. I guess that’s what you get for living on the equator.

Love and peace!

Sarah :-)

8 Comments:

At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Sarah,
I love you and hearing from you! I'm so glad that were able to "go home" for awhile! You are such a hard worker and I admire that in you (among other things)! Sadly, spring is not in the Lou yet....we had 6 in of snow this week. Luckily it's melting fast though! A letter and package are coming soon! And I will be coming soon after that =)
All my love and hugs,
Becca Boo

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Care-bear!
I can't believe you are going to be done in November! I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. I feel so spoiled to be complaining about inconsistent electricity and water instead of just occasional lights. I am so amazed and inspired to hear about your library. I miss you Care-Bear and wish that I could come visit! I to am enjoying the tropical weather.....

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I just wanted to let you know that Cooper and El Nino say hi...just kidding. In all seriousness I wanted to let you know that I miss you a lot and am very jealous of Becca and really wish I could come too. So unless I come into a large amount of money anytime soon I'll have to wait till you get back to see you. So I'll talk to you later and I get wait till you get back.

God Bless.

-Rick

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also I forgot to mention that it is wicked warm here in good ol' Illinose (thats what I call it). It's all of 36 degrees out here. But pretty soon it's gonna start getting really hot....40 degrees on monday!!

-Rick

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!

I have been enjoying reading your blog. I wanted to let you know that we saw the DVD that your Dad made from their visit to you. We watched it with Scott's Mom and my brother Brian, my Mom and Frank and the girls and we all loved it! It was so fun to see where you were living and how beautiful it is! What an awesome experience for you to carry with you for the rest of your life. What good work you are doing!
Our love,

Cindy, Scott, Chloe and Haley

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sarah,
More surprises on the way. Great blog, I just love talking to you every week!! Love you more than all the Jack Fruit in Africa!!love mom

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, this is Mike O. I'm trying to get in touch to send along some help. Please check your email and respond.

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Hello!

Happy Easter, and I hope all is well with you!

-Bridget

 

Post a Comment

<< Home