12.13.2007

kimu kimanyi

I would like to share with you a story about fate, or perhaps coincidence. Which one it is, you can decide.

A long, long time ago, I was in third grade at Empire School. Our school choir performed two songs in Showtime, and if you are from Freeport, you know what a big deal this can be to a third grader. Showtime is an annual Freeport tradition of song and dance lead by Jeff Lehman, the choral director at the High School. Sparkles and lights adorn the event and tickets always sell out so it is about the closest thing to stardom in the little town of Freeport. So you can imagine, as a third grader, you feel like pretty big stuff performing up on stage for so many people. We were to perform a song that we had to sing in two languages, one was English and one was a language none of us knew. We were told the foreign words matched the meaning of the words in English:
One thing I know,
Everybody has a seed to sow.
Let your heart of hearts take you down the road,
Everybody has a seed to sow.

This song became stuck in my head for many years. As I become older, the song became very meaningful to me. It became an inspiration to me to find out what my ‘seeds’ were and where I should ‘sow’ them. Eventually, the song stopped playing on repeat in my head and I had almost forgotten about the tune until a few months ago when I received phone call from my parents. My father started the conversation by telling me that I would never guess what song they sang again at Showtime this year. He said it was the song about seeds and then sang (or attempted to sing) part of it for me. It was the same song that I had sung so many years ago. Once again I found myself frequently humming the tune. I was singing the song, trying to remember what the foreign words were and was surprised when the ones I could remember sounded a lot like Luganda. Luganda is the language they speak in the Buganda region of Uganda and it is also the language I am trying to learn, so I thought perhaps I was just putting in new words. About a week later I was at the orphanage cutting pineapples singing the song when one of our university students stopped me and asked how I knew the song. I told her the story and she starting laughing because it is, indeed, a song in Luganda:
Kimu kimanyi,
Buli muntu twasiga ensigo.
Omutima gwo wa gulu ngamye,
Buli muntu twasiga ensigo.

If you are unfamiliar with Peace Corps, when you apply to become a volunteer they can place you anywhere in the world. For me, they chose Uganda, and I ended up living the Buganda region. I think that Luganda is probably spoken by 0.6% of people in the world. So to me, having a song be my theme song growing up, and to then have it become part of my life as a grown up is a very moving realization. Much more than coincidence, it shows me that my entire life has led me here to this moment. Just another piece of evidence, that we are all part of a grand design.

Except for the university students, most of the kids here didn’t know the song so I got to teach them something in Luganda which everyone found very surprising and humorous. This is a video of my third and fourth grade students singing the song.

12 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

72 Hours to go.
What do you mean "Attempted to sing" I thought I did a pretty darn good job. (-:
I love it.

Dad

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's a great story, Sarah. I commend you for your work in the Peace Corps.

Robert
http://www.bibleplants.com/polaris/2001.htm

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah;
..........this is Lehman. Your Mom called me to have a look at this blog entry. I am so glad she did. I am always amazed at how the seeds God plants in each of us mature in exactly the way He intended, even if it takes a long time. What a cool story, and I am honored to have accidentally been a part of it by accidentally using a neat song when you were accidentally in third grade that would accidentally become a musical mantra for you (as it was intended to do for anyone in the audience that would listen) that would accidentally come to fruition as it did today.

Thanks for sharing the story and may God continue to bless your work and keep you safe and at peace.

Lehman

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi our sweet....WOW, tears! enough said...see you Sunday night!!!! whoopieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Love love love you, mom.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sarah,
love reading about your adventures and your work in unganda. you are doing great work.
we think of you often.

take care,
steve and vicki

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a powerful story, Sarah C! Thanks for sharing with us, and for all the work you do there. You are such an inspiration!

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video of your students was beautiful! I can't wait to meet them all and see their smiling faces in person in only eight months! Your story warmed my heart and it is so fitting for you and all the work you are doing! Have fun with your family-I'm sure it is memorable =)
XOXO
Becca Boo

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sarah;
Met your Gramma "Norma" at a Birthday party today. She told me about your inspirational involvement and shared her Notebook with your pictures, testimonies etc. You are a special 'angel' and I commend you for the act of faith you have taken for such a mission.
Trudy Ross

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Sarah!

Hi Sarah

Merry Christmas to you and your family!! How wonderful that they could come to visit you.

We have a white Christmas here in IL. The snow had melted but got more over the weekend.

Rick & Curt are off to lunch and I am headed to the kitchen to do some baking.

Take care & loved your song story.

Lynne P

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry CHristmas, Sarah!

Great story. It is indeed interesting who God gets us involved in this stuff; it was my son's French Horn, Bejing, CHina, and a Scotsman that ended me up with a Ugandan 'daughter'.

I hope things are OK in Sabine; tell them (especially Charles) that Uncle Mike sends his best and keeps them in his prayers. I hope to return this summer, if my son's medical requirements permit.

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story. The kids did a great job singing it. I would still like to use it with my kids. We saw your folks at the Showtime spaghetti supper the other night. They were beaming talking about their amazing trip to see you. 500 pictures...can't wait to see at least some of them! The beads your mom was wearing are beautiful, so colorful. So glad that you were able to have your family come visit. What a blessing. Take care dear Sarah.


Jody

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger The Jackal said...

I grew up listening to this song from Michael W. Smith's album Go West Young Man. A few minutes ago, an echo of the kids' choir in singing the words in Lugandan on that album hit me. Googling a lucky guess of the spelling of a couple of the words I remembered ("buli...ensigo") brought me here. I didn't know the kids were singing the same thing as Smitty was singing in English! Thanks for posting this and teaching me that almost two decades later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home