4.27.2008

Splish, splash, I was washin my clothes!

Even after one and a half years of living in Uganda, I still find it a challenge to do my wash by hand. I scrub, and scrub, and scrub and the clothes still don't seem to get very clean. When I was living in Rakai, I would do my wash every Sunday accompanied by a group of girls from our primary school. We put on music and have a rocking time dancing and washing. I try to chose a different group of kids each time and am often bombarded with requests to be chosen to help me come clean. Kids here love to clean and because they do, the average Ugandan can do their laundry approximately 100 times faster than I can even attempt to do. Despite my lack of talent in this task, I find myself enjoying the ever present task of scrubbing my clothes. You use far less water and the only energy you waste is your own.

The other day, Melody (a volunteer from Canada) and I brought our clothes outside to begin washing. We were preparing ourselves for a couple of hours of work ahead of us.Almost before we could get the buckets in place to begin, four of our COU high school boys came over and demanded that they could help us. Thats right, highschool boys, demanding to help, without being asked!
Serenjerogi rocking the washing.

We tried to tell them that we were very capable and could do our wash, but they insisted, so we had no choice but to permit them to help.
The wash was done in under an hour and we had a blast trying to help the boys as they made our clothes smell as fresh as the day we bought them.

Melody looks on as the boys show us how it's done (really, we did do some work!)

It's days like this that I find myself absolutely loving life here. Not because I didn't have to do much work, but because of the kindness the boys showed us. It is yet another example of how service to others seems to shine through in so many people here :-)


Since I am able to get so much internet these days I thought I would post some more random photos:
Sabina School, P4 class

Goretti, me, Flavia and Bena listening to music.

Lisandro and his very curious neighborhood kids.

Till next time! Happy end of April!
Love and peace,
Sarah

7 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing, Sarah C! I love your stories. I know I find I am humbled and just appreciate life and living in another country when people like this just show such overwhelming kindness. Hugs!

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, Loved your new pictures... but not as much as we love you!!! So fun talking to you this morning. We are so happy for you... And glad you are having a great time with all of your PC friends. Hi to all your kids...love mom and dad

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Emily Jane said...

Carebear!! I miss you so much and still love reading your stories. I too have been blessed by laundry help. Our water goes out a lot and the neighborhood girls invite me over to do laundry. I never imagined that my 7th graders would be helping me wring out my underwear!! The kindness here in the Dominican Republic is overwhelming as well. I will be here next year so you will have to come visit after you return to the states in December!! Much love and hugs! May God continue to bless the work you are doing there.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sarah, I loved hearing about and seeing your laundry adventures. How cool to have the high school boys help. I should show my Jr. High boys these pictures and see what they think about the bigger boys being so helpful! As nice as they are, I'm not sure they would think helping me with my laundry would be fun!! :) I'm sure your kindness is contagious wherever you go, dear girl. There are several other great pictures,to. Think of your often. ....One thing...I know....God bless!!

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my son is going get tired of seeing these pictures :))

Hope things are well in Rakai. Tell all that Uncle Mike sends his best and hope to see them before the year's out (summer is sadly out; GE bought my group from Citi, so i'll have a new employer about then). Tell Charles I said Hi.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your pictures...it reminds me of the time our washer broke and Adam cleaned his worked cloths in the sinks. He used his hands to work as the agitator. I also just like to see new pictures of you and your adnventures....that right laundry is an adventure. Any way expect a call soon...........like right now. Just kidding.

Any way I miss you and can't wait to talk to you.

Bye

-Rick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home