3.30.2008

Happy Easter


So, I may be a little behind on wishing you all a very Happy Easter, but I am in Uganda and am getting very ‘used’ to running on ‘African’ time. Also, we have been soooo busy here. By here, I mean Kampala. I am still living at Kiwanga helping out in the head office for COU. This will probably be until mid May when I will head back to Rakai. Perks of this is electricity and……..INTERNET! We have internet in our offices so I now have access to intermittent (and very slow) internet. At least it is internet. I’m sure not complaining! So yes, this means you can all send me tons of e-mails with lots of details on your lives (hint, hint) until May when I shall return to Rakai and the land of no internet.

Easter flew by but I did take time to stop and dye some Easter eggs with the residence of Philip’s House which was a blast. Philip’s Home is a part of the COU program which provides children who have physical and learning disabilities with shelter, food, care and education. Many thanks to my Grandma Norma who sent some Easter Egg Dye! Side note: thanks so much to everyone for all the packages and letters. I am still astonished by the love I see from everyone and can’t mention it enough. I have never stopped to think about the yearly ritual of dropping eggs into colored dye, but after trying to explain it to the kids here I realized how silly it seems to someone from an non-easter-egg-dying-culture. None the less, I still love this tradition and the kids all had a great time.


This past weekend COU got the opportunity to participate in the first “Festival of Hope,” an event held at the Sheraton hotel in Kampala. The office staff has been very busy in preparation for this but it paid off as we were able to make very many useful contacts. The dance troupe got a chance to perform and they did so well! I am still constantly amazed by their ability to always pull of stunning performances. I, on the other hand, am still trying to learn how to shake my body. My teacher (the children) are great, but my coordination, I am afraid will never allow me to become a professional bakasimba-er.


That’s alllllllllllllll for now folks! Have a super day!


A few old I thought I should post

Kids at Sabina


Becca Marsh and crew came in January to help with the construction of our library.

2 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being on Uganda time. That was nice not being early, not being late but when you get there it's right on time. Did the kids end up with any Easter egg fingers from the dye? I bet the kids loved dancing for the "Festiavl of Hope" and knowing all the practicing is going to good use.
#1 Again - YAHOO!!!
Walleye Hand Salps to you.
I love you (-:

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sarah, Dad is so lucky, because he has internet at work and I don't,so he is always the first to see your new blog!!. Great eggs! Did you eat them later?
Hope you got some video of your kids dancing in the festival. So wonderful to finally talk to you for longer than 30 seconds!!! Have a great April Fool's Day. Love you more than all the red dirt on the road!! mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home