9.01.2008

Painting

We have been so busy these days at COU with all the new projects. One of the most exciting things for me is that we are very close to being ready to open the Library, or the Ssanje Community Resource Center which is the official name. The solar system is running beautifully and the children are studying every night in the space. The shipment of books arrived in Ssanje last week and we have been sorting, catologuing and shelving all of the books. The books were donated by a wonderful church in Washington DC. Most books were novels, but they also sent so many valuable reference books. With the money we have left over from the budget of building the library we are going to buy books printed in Luganda and Swahili so the children can read in their original languages.

I have been painting the walls with educational and fun murals with the help of some older students.

A semi-to-scale map of the solar system behind the massive amount of books we now have:
A giant map of the world:

"The giving tree" the leaves are names of people and organizations that gave to the library, zoon in and try to find your name!


Sash, another PCV's creation inspired by one of my favorite books:

When we were finished, we had a lot of paint left so we decided to redo some very old dirty paintings on the walls of Sabina and make fresh new paintings which represented COUs missions

AIDS awarness and care, a design colaboration between staff and visitors: This one is designed by Mugalula, a COU seconday student, and is his representation of the importance of protecting our environment: We also put up a few fun pictures. The one below depicting the Ugandan Crane was done by visitors to COU. The gates to the home:
Thats all I have time for today. Love you all!

Enjoy the day!

7 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many books in the library now! Yay! Hope the floor got fixed where I stepped in the wet paint.
And the murals look amazing-the AIDS one turned out great. Please tell everyone I said hello and I miss them and pass along hugs for me, please! In only 112 I will see you again!!!!
*Hugs*
Becca Boo

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sarah........wow! great pictures. You are amazing! We love you so much. hang in there and keep up the great work.love mom.
ps. dad waited, and let me write you first!!!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

SarahC! Yay for a post :) I am also coming home in December and would absolutely love to see you. Thanks for posting. Much love.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Growing a Community said...

Fantastic to see the progress! lots of love, Jan

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe all the great pictures. I didn't realize it had been so long since I logged on to you blog. What adventures you have been having. And the library is looking fantastic. Congratulations on all the work towards the library. How great it is for your kids to have so many new resources for learning. Yeah! Can't believe how close you are to coming back home. Where has the time gone? Lots of love.

Jody B

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh! I can't put the skreetch of delight into words! I wish you could have experiened my reaction first hand. It looks SO GOOD Sarah. I am excited that the solar is up and running. Wow. I feel like a good chunk of my heart is still there, it is so good to hear of good things happening.
mel

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sarah, I am so proud of you, you a true representative of what an individual can do to change the life of others around them. Thank you for your hard work. I can not wait to come and visit again. I love the luganda heading on your page. Take care the world is a little better because of you.
God bless
Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home